HISTORY

 
About the Original Whalley Legion
About the Original Whalley Legion
 
 

Location
The Whalley Branch #229 of the Royal Canadian Legion is one of over 140 in the B.C./Yukon Command. Whalley is in North Surrey, British Columbia, forming part of the city centre and a short walk south of the Gateway Skytrain station.

 
 

OUR COMMITMENT
We host a variety of events all year round. We have a games room offering pool, darts, cribbage, and big screen TVs. Our lounge has live entertainment on weekends, and a large dance floor. Thursday afternoons is our Crib Day, Friday nights we host an In-house Pool League, Saturdays at noon we host 10 card crib and both Saturday and Sunday afternoons we have meat draws.

 
 

Upstairs is an auditorium with full kitchen and bar facilities available for meetings, dinners, dances and conferences. The Whalley Legion Branch 229 has a long and proud history in the community and hosts a parade for Remembrance Day November 11. The Legion also sponsors Youth, Cadets, Sports, Seniors Housing, and has donated over $50,000 to Veterans in need, bursaries, charities, and other causes in 2017.

 
 

Our History
In 1947 about 40 veterans gathered to start a local branch of the Canadian Legion in the Whalley area, at that time named after the Whalley family, who operated the local gas station and store at the corner of 108 avenue and the Pacific Highway (now named King George Boulevard) The Charter for the North Surrey Branch No. 229, Canadian Legion was received in January of 1948.

One of the first organizations in Whalley's Corner, next to the Ladies Community Guild, the originating members held their first meetings in local church basements and members’ garages. It wasn’t long before they began construction of a small community hall on Grosvenor Road through donated materials and labour. The Ladies Auxiliary, formed in same year, actively helped with fund raising.




In 1951, the first Remembrance Service was held on the grounds of the Grosvenor Rd School and in 1952, a new Cenotaph was erected on the traffic island at 108th avenue & the Pacific Highway. With the construction of the current King George Boulevard, the cenotaph was moved to its current location for care taking until a new city site is finalized.

In 1954, with unprecedented growth in the area, a new community hall was completed (adjacent to the current building) again through fundraisers, the sales of debentures to members and volunteer effort. By 1960 continued growth and community work lead up to construction of the present building, at the time the most spacious facility in the Lower Mainland.

Since that time the Whalley Branch has carried on its work in the community, becoming a gathering place for thousands of members over the years and a showcase for local entertainers.

 
 


News

 
Contact Us

  
  
  
How did you hear about us?

Need more information?


Legion Veterans Village
© 2020 Legion Veterans Village

 


Privacy Policy     Disclaimer